Keeping your hearing aids in tip-top working order requires occasional maintenance. Moisture, heat and earwax all take their toll on your aids; left unchecked, they can damage the electronic components and shorten their lifespan. There are steps you can take at home to ensure optimal performance and help extend their life.
The following tips will help keep your hearing aids working smoothly:
- Clean your hearing aids daily. Wipe down all surfaces gently using a soft, dry cloth. Be sure to avoid water and other cleaning solvents, as these can damage your devices. Make sure to include the microphone, battery contacts and other overlooked areas.
- Remove your aids before using hairspray, washing your face and applying lotions.
- If your hearing aids aren’t functioning properly, try to troubleshoot them as follows:
- For feedback: remove and reinsert your aids. If this does not resolve the issue, make sure earwax isn’t clogging the microphone ports.
- For distorted or unclear sound: make sure the battery contacts are not corroded. Try cleaning the battery surfaces and removing/replacing the battery. If these do not do the trick, make sure you haven’t accidentally switched your hearing aids to telecoil mode.
- If there is no sound at all: check the battery; replace if necessary. If a dead battery is not the issue check for a clogged microphone or sound outlet. Try changing the wax filter.
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, your hearing aids still won’t work properly. In this case please bring them in to our office so we can assist with any needed repairs.